Tablets with integrated GPS are very useful for driving . If you do not have a proper GPS navigator and your mobile is too small to see the routes, this article will be very useful.
Today we are going to show you the analysis and purchase guide of the best tablets with GPS of this 2021.
Analysis of the best models of 2021
Are you looking for a tablet with GPS to accompany you on your travels? Stay with us. We will go into more detail so that you can choose between the different models included in the table above. Read on and find the one that best suits your needs.
Best value for money: Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e: GPS, BeiDou, Galileo and Glonass
Samsung’s S5e has Qualcomm Snapdragon 670 octa-core 2GHz , 4GB of RAM, and 64GB of internal storage . The screen is 10.5 inches, with a resolution of 1600 x 2560 pixels. Being Samsung, the screen type is Super AMOLED with 16M colors.
We cannot omit its GPS compatibility with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS and GALILEO support. The integrated GPU is the Adreno 615 , suitable for any video game on the market.
Among its other technical specifications, the Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e has a 7040 mAh battery and 18W fast charging. This tablet model with built-in GPS is suitable for multiple chart plotting and navigation programs , such as OpenCPN.
- The screen has AMOLED technology.
- Battery life of up to 15 hours and fast charging.
- Ergonomic design and weight of 400 gr .
- Monitor compatible video output.
- Without 3.5 mm jack output.
- No support to use stylus.
- Some users have reported problems with the Wifi connection.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e stands out for its design, ergonomics and technological features. It is an ideal purchase for any user , and for just over 530 euros on Amazon.
Huawei MediaPad T5: GPS, Glonass and BeiDou
The MediaPad T5 has the Kirin 659 octa-core 2.36GHz processor , being mid-range. It offers 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of internal storage. Like other tablets with GPS, this model works with GLONASS, BDS and A-GPS (optional).
The processor is accompanied by the Mali-T830 MP2 GPU , compatible with a large number of 2D and 3D applications. The screen is an IPS LCD type, 10.1 inches and with 1200 x 1920 pixels. On the other hand, the battery has 5100 mAh capacity, but it does not allow fast charging .
Finally, the default operating system is Android 8.0 Oreo, valid for 2G, 3G and 4G networks. And it has Wi-Fi 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac connection technology.
- Powerful and versatile CPU in almost any scenario.
- Excellent quality screen with Full HD resolution.
- GPU compatible with multiple applications.
- Medium / low quality camera.
- It does not have fast charging.
The Huawei brand stands out for its professional quality products, and this GPS tablet is proof of that. The MediaPad T5 will not disappoint you . Buy it on Amazon for about 200 euros and enjoy all its advantages.
Garmin Overlander: the best GPS tablet
The Garmin Overlander is a car GPS tablet, with a US military standard 810 design. That is, it has resistance (IP5X) to dust , dirt and extreme temperatures. And it can be mounted anywhere, thanks to its magnetic mount.
On the other hand, it has a large number of maps with indications and topography of Africa, Europe and the Middle East. In addition, it has preloaded points of interest (POI) for ACSI, iOverlander, Trailer’s PARK and Campercontact. You can also take any image or application with you due to its 64 Gb of storage.
Like other models from the brand, the Overlander uses the Garmin Explore app. And it is compatible with GPS, GLONASS and Galileo.
- IP5X rating .
- American military design.
- 64 Gb of storage.
- MicroSD slot for memory expansion.
- Large number of pre-installed maps.
- It has the Garmin Explore app.
- A bit low resolution (1024 × 600 pixels).
- Reflections when exposed to sunlight.
- Somewhat complicated volume control.
Garmin is considered the leader in the GPS market. That’s why the Garmin Overlander is a GPS tablet with great features. Buy it at the best price on Amazon. You will only invest around € 620.
New 10.2 ″ Apple iPad: with integrated GPS / GNSS
The 10.2-inch iPad is one of the Apple-branded GPS tablets. It stands out for having the A12 Bionic hexa-core. This processor is accompanied by 3 Gb of RAM and 32 Gb of storage . Its default operating system is iPadOS 14.
It has a 10.2-inch screen with 1620 x 2160 pixels. The technology used is IPS LCD and has a density of 264 ppi. The weight of the Apple iPad is 490 g (WiFi model) and 495 g (LTE model). Despite being a new model, it does not support 5G networks (only 4G, 3G and 2G).
Being a powerful GPS tablet, it has built-in GNSS and GPS with A-GPS support. Its battery is 32.4 Wh , but it allows fast charging, wireless charging and extraction. Finally, the main camera is 8 MP (f / 2.4) with recording at 1080p @ 30fps / 720p @ 120fps.
- Compatibility for Apple Pencil and Smart Connect.
- Excellent performance processor .
- Good price / quality ratio.
- Not very innovative design.
- The sound quality can be improved.
- It is only compatible with the first version of Apple pencil.
- It does not have Pro Motion and True Tone.
Apple is one of the most recognized brands on the market, its products are synonymous with quality and this tablet is no less. Find it for € 380 on Amazon.
The cheapest: Teclast M40
The Teclast M40 is more than just a tablet with built-in GPS: it has the Unisoc Tiger T618 . This octa-core processor from ARM is made up of 2 A75 cores (2.0Ghz) and 6 A55 cores (1.8Ghz). Its lithography is 12 nm and is accompanied by the ARM Mali-G52-MP2 GPU.
It has 6 GB of LPDDR4 ram memory and 128 GB of storage . And it allows expansion by MicroSD. Its screen is 10.1 inches, 1920 x 1200 pixels , 8.5 aspect, IPS LCD technology and a density of 224 PPI (medium density).
Like the rest of the models presented, the Teclast M40 has GPS (support for A-GPS), BDS, GLONASS and GALILEO. As for its battery, it has a capacity of 6000mAh . Its front camera is 5 MP and the main one is 8 MP.
- Relationship excellent value.
- Metal construction materials.
- Full HD screen .
- Lots of storage.
- Processor with good performance.
- The cameras are not outstanding.
- Sound quality may improve.
The Teclast M40 is an excellent GPS tablet with outstanding features . If you want to enjoy the best of the mid-range, buy it for about € 230 on Amazon . It will meet your expectations!
Buying guide: what to consider when buying a tablet with GPS
There are many things to consider when buying a GPS tablet. To make it an easy process, we have prepared this guide for you with the most important considerations.
There are 3 basic characteristics to consider in a battery: duration, fast charging and wireless charging. Duration is measured in mAh (milliamps / hour). The higher the amount of mAh, the longer the battery life.
The fast loading is a feature highly valued in any tablet with GPS. Fast charging is considered when the speed is above 10 W.
Lastly, wireless charging is a appreciated feature, but not a must. Its absence will not affect the performance of the device.
Android or iOS?
Android occupies an important position in this market due to its great flexibility. There are many models of tablets with Android , with prices from 60 to more than € 1,000.
Against this, the iOS operating system has less flexibility . In other words, the number of models with iOS is much smaller and they are more expensive. Although it does offer more professional applications .
Our recommendation is to use 7 inches or 10 inches. Although there are no fines for screen size, there are fines related to these devices.
Some GPS tablets have an anti-radar feature, which can interfere with the police’s cinemometer. This situation implies a fine of 6,000 euros and a loss of 6 points on the card .
Using the tablet while driving is prohibited and entails a fine of 200 euros , along with the loss of 3 points .
Finally, the fine for placing the tablet in a place that obstructs the view is another 200 euros .
Display technology: LCD or AMOLED?
LCD technology is the most popular today. For tablets with GPS, the ideal is to use LCD screens because they reflect less sunlight. And this is due to the high contrast. In contrast, AMOLED screens reflect sunlight more intensely, due to their low contrast.
It is advisable to use LCD screens in environments with a large amount of ambient lighting, and AMOLED screens in closed environments and with little light.
Do you need LTE and / or WiFi?
Tablets can have an LTE or Wifi connection.
The first connection will always be present , but only if you have a data rate. A tablet with built-in GPS and Wi-Fi connection is the most affordable option, but it will only work when you are close to a wireless network.
We are facing the most subjective part of the buying guide, because everything will depend on the economic capacity of the person and their needs.
For limited budgets, there are many models of GPS tablets with excellent value for money. They will meet the expectations of any user without problems. Brands like Xiaomi and Teclast have many models to consider.
Larger budgets can enjoy the technological features of the more expensive models, intended for professional sectors.
Why buy a GPS tablet?
Tablets with GPS have become the perfect companion for drivers until they reach their destination. They are comfortable, operational, have easy access to the Internet, and offer many functions . But this is not all:
- Their screens oscillate between 7 “and 10”, allowing a clear view of the route to follow.
- They are practical, light and elegant equipment , made with high quality materials and with the best finishes.
- They have compatibility with 3G, 4G and LTE + Wifi networks. In this way, they provide a fast and efficient connection practically anywhere.
- They are very functional . They come equipped with connectivity via USB port, Bluetooth or Glonass, among others.
- The built-in GPS is usually highly accurate. It allows you to find the best way, the least traveled and the fastest , indicating at all times which exact route to take.
- Its battery has good autonomy, normally between 7 and 20 hours, depending on the tasks that are carried out with it.
- Some models have a built- in SIM card slot for making phone calls.
Different types of GPS: what you need to know
This article is focused on the best tablets with integrated GPS. Which brings us to the most important point of all: the positioning system. This can be GPS (the best known), but also Galileo, Glonass, Beidou or QZSS, among others.
Things get a bit complicated, not so much in the definition of these terms, but rather in your final choice. We tell you everything:
- GPS: It is the most popular global positioning system of all. Even the word “GPS” is used to refer to the navigation devices themselves, even if they use Glonass or Beidou. It has 31 satellites and is of American origin.
- A-GPS: It was created to improve the traditional GPS by using the land mobile phone network . In the case of cars, it uses up to four telephone masts. They update data more quickly and achieve effective communication with satellites. This way it offers you signal, information and time with greater precision.
- GLONASS: of Russian origin, it works with 24 satellites with global coverage , demonstrating its technological advancement and greater operability.
- QZSS (acronym for Quasi-Zenith Satellite System) is a Japanese technology characterized by using non-geostationary satellites. They are called like that to those that do not stay in a single position. These concretes move drawing an 8 that covers the Japanese territory and part of New Zealand and Australia. The project started in 2018 and by 2023 they plan to have 7 satellites in orbit.
- Galileo: belongs to the European Union and covers the whole world with its 24 satellites. It differs from the rest of the list because it was initially designed for civil and commercial use, not military. Its quality in terms of the signal is more than optimal.
- BeiDou (BDS): It is Chinese and has 23 second-generation operational satellites . It has a geolocation service that covers China, the Asia region and the Pacific Ocean. It is estimated that for next year there will be 35 satellites with global coverage.
How do I know if my tablet has GPS?
Before buying a tablet like the ones described above, make sure you read its descriptions well. You can visit the Amazon website and consult with users and experts about the main characteristics of the equipment that interests you. They will also appear specified on the product box.
And it is that without a doubt, tablets with GPS included are the perfect companions to move freely and safely to your destination, without fear of deviating or straying from the road. And if that wasn’t enough, its satellite system helps you find your car in case of theft .
Have you already made a decision about which GPS tablet to buy? As you have seen, there is a wide variety of models for all tastes and budgets. Whichever you choose, you will get a reliable, quality device with good features. We hope this guide has been helpful to you!